Dental Treatment > Implants
Providing Dental Implants in Norwich
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are one way of replacing missing teeth. A post is planted in the jaw bone to support a replacement tooth. This acts like the root of a natural tooth. Dental implants can also be used to support fixed bridges or dentures.
Dental implants can be used for:-
- Replacement of single or multiple teeth, either individually or two can be linked to make a bridge to support several teeth.
- They also great for holding in a denture, commonly used in a case to hold a problematic lower denture in place.
Dental implant treatment normally has two stages. First, the implant is placed in the jaw. Then, when the jaw has healed, replacement teeth are attached to the implant. In some situations, it is possible for temporary teeth to be attached to an implant at the time of fitting.
Would implants be right for me?
First, you should decide whether implants could be right for you. Contact us in Norwich to arrange an dental implant consultation and discussion and we will let you know the possibilities. Our team will be only too happy to help you with any questions you may have.
If you decide to go ahead, this is what will happen.
- Implants are placed in the jaw with a local anaesthetic. You can opt to have sedation for this procedure also.
- The gum is stitched so that it heals over the implant
- Under the gum. the bone then grows round the implant to hold it firm. This can take a few months depending on the position in the mouth.
Dental implants usually have two sections – the post in the jaw and an extension that is added later when the post is secure. You might have more than one implant. The replacement teeth might be fixed permanently (like a crown or bridge) or attached in a way which lets you remove them for cleaning (like a denture).